Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Only 179 more days til summer

(Warning: The formatting of the text with the pictures in this post may not be very good. I'm just too tired to mess with it right now.)
The first day of school was a great success in the library! I was busy every minute, but everything went smoothly. The library at my school is in the specials roatation, which means that students rotate weekly among music, art, PE, library, and technology while the teachers have a 70 minute conference time. I'm in charge of
morning announcements via TV first thing in the morning. That duty hasn't actually started yet, but it will soon. A few 4th grade kids will help. From 8:10 to 10:30 I see 4 classes (4th and 3rd grades) in back to back 35 minute periods. I have a break from 10:30-12:40 during which I take care of administrative libaray issues, eat lunch (which I almost forgot to do today!), and supervise a p.m. kinder class for a short transition time. Then from 12:40-2:55 I see 4 more classes (2nd and 1st) back to back. At 2:55 I have bus duty. It's non-stop activity, and so far I love it! I'm in the process of signing up parent volunteers to come in on a schedule and help with book circulation and other library tasks. Don't forget that during the day, teachers are also coming in for help with technology issues that pop up. Those issues range from needing a bulb for the overhead projector to losing network connection in a classroom. I can't wait to go back tomorrow and do it all again.

The kids are fabulous. It's amazing how different they are from my other school. I came from a rural area, where parents rarely have more than a highschool education, to a suburban area, where the kids go to Europe and New Zealand for summer vacations. This is all in the same school district! I'm in culture shock. I'm really glad I'm getting the opportunity to see both worlds. I had some very positive experiences at my old school, and I'll miss those kiddos.

Before school started I trie
d to rearrange some things to make it obvious that someone new was coming in. I'm making it a point not to do things exactly like the lady who was there last year. Here are a few before and after pictures of the library and library office areas. A couple of them are blurry, but you'll get the idea.
This is before...













This is after.















This is before...















...and after.














Before....

















...after.















A librarian's office is always crammed with on going projects. This last after pic may not look too organized, but believe me, it's way better than it was before. :)

I'm really excited about this school year and even though I'll always count down 'til summer and ask my teacher friends, "Is it May yet?", I'm feeling very positive about my job change. Of course, this was only the first day...those of us in education know that things can change at the drop of a hat. Stay tuned...

2 Comments:

Blogger MsAbcMom said...

Your library is HUGE in comparison to our library. WOW! How exciting!

6:21 AM  
Blogger Dree said...

When I retire from teaching, I would LOVE to work in the children's section of a library. I can't imagine a more perfect job.

Looks like you're off to a good start this year! I hope my first days go just as smoothly.

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home