Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Posting to procrastinate and update

I'm taking a break from a mountain of end of the year school work and only feeling slightly guilty about it. There are some things I've been wanting to post about for awhile and have decided this is the perfect time to do that. Organizing the literacy folders will just have to wait.

A quick up date on Circus Girl...
Due to slow progress in reading, she was tested for special ed recently. She didn't qualify mainly due to a "lack of educational opportunity." Even though she's reading on a DRA level 4 (level 28 is the expected end of year level for 2nd grade), she'll be "placed" in 3rd grade with modifications in place. Don't know yet what those modifications will be. If she were held back in 2nd, she'd be 10 and it was decided that was too detrimental for her. That's where things stand now.

A hilarious story...
We went on a field trip a couple of weeks ago. We toured a local aluminum can manufacturing company (not the most exciting field trip I'd ever been on) and then had lunch at a nearby park. So here's the scene. We had had lunch and the kids had been playing on the playground for quite a while. We were gathering the kids up for one last water break before loading the buses. I happened to look around the playground for any lingering kiddos. That's when I saw the 2 boys still in swings. I called to them to come on, and when they made no obvious effort to obey, I began walking toward them with some irritation. As I got closer I realized they were swinging in this type of swing...
















I quickly realized that they weren't obeying because they were stuck!!! The scared and embarassed looks on their faces confirmed this realization. A couple of moms not related to our field trip were there with toddler aged kids; waiting, I imagine, to swing in the baby swings. I tried to control my mirth while one of the moms and I tried to lift Stuck Boy #1 out of the swing. He wouldn't budge. It didn't help that he was wearing jeans. His legs were wedged tight in those holes. I went for reinforcements and came back with Miss O. Now there were 3 of us trying to lift Stuck Boy #1 out of the swing. The problem was, we couldn't hold him up long enough for one of us to get his legs out of the holes. We grown-ups were openly laughing by this time. We couldn't help it. How ridiculous for those boys to do something like that. I suggested we work on Stuck Boy #2 and let #1's legs rest. Stuck Boy #2 slid right out with just a little lifting. Now all 4 of us went back to work on #1. We joked about calling the fire department or getting some butter, but Miss O had an idea. She got down on her hands and knees and Stuck Boy #1 stood on her back. Bystander Mom and Stuck Boy #2 worked on wiggling his legs out of the holes. It worked. He was finally free. We were all wondering where the yearbook PTO mom was with the camera. What a photo op that was! We later asked the boys why they got in the baby swings. Their answer was quite logical. A chaparone mom was facilitating the regular swings and enforcing a 2 minute rule for each child so that everyone would get to swing. They didn't want to wait in line so the baby swings were the only other option. I bet they'll think twice before doing that again. It provided some excitement and entertainment to an othewise uneventful field trip. And it makes for a great story!

Total lockdown...
A few Fridays ago we went into total lockdown at school. We had to secure the kids in a safe location in the room, lock our classroom door, and cover the window. No phone calls of any kind were allowed. I didn't really know what was going on except that a man with a gun was loose in the vicinity. The first report I heard was that he was in the building! That wasn't true though, thank God! We were locked down for about an hour and a half. I kept the kids busy by reading to them and giving them a spelling test. They behaved pretty well. I kept reassuring them that we were doing this to keep them safe, and that no one was going to get in. I joked with my mom after it was all over that the gun man was probably a student's daddy. I'm pretty sure several fugitives live in that area. Anyway, later I found out that was partly true. Police attempted to pull over a car with two men. The driver had some sort of outstanding warrant so he took off. He ended up at a vacant house of a buddy of his that is currently in jail. When he heard the dogs coming for him, he took his gun and ran off into the woods not far from our school. The passenger in the car was detained for questioning. His son is a 2nd grader at our school. I knew the odds were good that a daddy was involved. Eventually the man was caught and all was safe. You'd think I worked in an inner city school instead of a country school in a rural area. Even though the end was anti-climatic, it was a new experience for me.

Job search...
I had an interview this week with the principal at another elementary school for a librarian job. It went well and he asked me back to meet with the grade level team leaders next week. He was openly accepting of my lack of experience. He listed all the things the librarian is responsible for and I must admit it's quite overwhelming. The library is part of the special subjects rotation, i.e. P.E., music, art, computer lab. I'd have eight 35 minute class periods a day of 1st-4th graders. I'd also have to schedule in Kinder classes to come in during the week. I'd be in charge of morning announcements via TV as well as a.m. and p.m. bus duty and lunch duty. I'm pretty fortunate in my teaching job now not to have to do much extra duty. Recess duty is about all I have outside the classroom. Any comments on the topic of school librarians will be much appreciated.

If you're even still reading this, my mountain of school work is still looming in the other room. I guess I'd better get back to it. I managed to procrastinate quite a lot with this post. But I also got a lot of thoughts out that have been begging to be written about.

Who knows what adventure tomorrow may bring. The faculty end of the year party is after school. Maybe the reserved 4th grade teacher will dance on the table. Or maybe one of the sweet 1st grade teachers will tell us how they really feel about having to move to a different room in the building for the 3rd time in so many years.

8 days 'til summer vacation. But who's counting?

1 Comments:

Blogger MsAbcMom said...

That swing story is cracking me up. I love it!

9:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home